Oct 13, 2017
Zhejiang University (Hangzhou City, Zhejiang Province, China, President: Wu Zhaohui) and Nippon Electric Glass Co., Ltd. (President: Motoharu Matsumoto) (NEG) have established the NEG Endowed Chair in Glass Chemistry at Zhejiang University. The agreement signing ceremony was held on September 20, 2017.
The purpose of this endowed chair is to evaluate and reveal the mechanism and principle of chemical reaction that determines the chemical properties of glass from the viewpoint of the glass structure. It will also help to ensure closer and more extensive cooperation between the two parties through interaction and utilization of intellectual and human resources in many areas of technology, research, and education from basics to application.
Through the establishment of the chair, NEG hopes to further deepen scientific knowledge of glass and produce human resources who will contribute to the development of the glass industry.
Professor Qiu of Zhejiang University (left) and Director & Senior Vice President Yamazaki of NEG after the agreement signing ceremony
Overview of the endowed chair
NEG Endowed Chair in Glass Chemistry
Nippon Electric Glass Co., Ltd.
3. Period of endowed chair and endowed amount
• September 1, 2017–August 31, 2020
• Total amount: 1.5 million yuan
• Accumulate basic knowledge about the chemical durability of glass
• Clarify the reaction mechanism between glass and chemical solutions based on surface analysis and structural analysis
• Analyze secondary factors that affect the chemical durability of glass
The endowed chair will be managed by researchers, etc. at Zhejiang University to establish a comprehensive research organization for the study of the chemical technologies of glass.