With “consideration for the environment” as one of our key values, we will continue to manufacture products in an environmentally friendly way.
Our Way of Thinking on Environmental Conservation
We hold consideration for the environment as an important value and have always been conscious of environmental conservation through our operations. Furthermore, we have managed our business based on the belief that practicing the world’s most efficient manufacturing process is, in fact, the key to realizing the world’s most environment-friendly manufacturing. Against this backdrop, we endeavor to not only reduce our environmental footprint but also tackle various issues, including sustainable development and conservation of biodiversity. We are also adopting measures to promote carbon neutrality, which is becoming a growing social concern in light of the climate change issue.
The Environmental Charter is our fundamental policy on the environment and sets forth the direction we need to follow in enacting our initiatives for environmental conservation. In accordance with our Environmental Charter, through our glass business, and together with our Group companies, we will continue to be instrumental in preserving the global environment and realizing a recyclingoriented society.
Preservation of the global environment is extremely important and indispensable for the prosperity of civilization and humanity in the 21st century. Nippon Electric Glass, upholding the Corporate Philosophy of “To build a brighter future for the world by uncovering the unlimited possibilities of glass for more advanced creative manufacturing” and adhering to “Consideration for the environment” as one of its essential corporate values, strives to be and remain the world’s leading manufacturer of special glass by ensuring the state-of-the-art technological development, the highest quality standards, efficient production, and steady product supply. Nippon Electric Glass and its Group companies are committed to contributing to the preservation of the global environment and realization of a recycling-based society by adopting high-efficiency and environmentally responsible processes.
- We will honor and observe all environment-related laws and regulations and the environment-related agreements and conventions that we have signed, and establish and enforce our own and voluntary environmental restrictions.
- We will endeavor to reduce our environmental impact in all aspects of our corporate activities and in all stages of the product life cycle, including procurement, manufacturing, transportation, sales, use, reuse, treatment, and disposal.
- We will attain the world’s highest-level manufacturing to more effectively utilize natural resources and energy sources, thereby contributing to preservation of biodiversity and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
- We will strive to adapt our activities to the requirements of 21st-century society to prevent pollution, thereby optimizing our presence in society.
- We will set environmental objectives and targets and attain them through optimization of our essential operations and environmental protection activities in which all employees participate. We will also continuously improve our environmental management system to enhance our environmental protection performance.
This Charter is informed to all employees and affiliated companies, and is made available to parties outside the Company at their request.
Promoting the Environmental Management Plan
In an effort to improve our environmental performance in fiscal 2020, we achieved 39 of the 41 targets we recognized at our plants in Japan. In fiscal 2021, we identified 39 targets that address urgent issues related to reductions in carbon dioxide emissions, energy and resource consumption; and matters directly linked to our core operations.
Environmental Management Organization
Environmental Management Organization Chart
Environmental Management Meeting
The executive officer in charge of environmental management chairs this meeting, which is attended by the President and representatives of our operational departments and our major group companies outside Japan. Here, the attendees share specific environmental conservation initiatives stemming from the President’s environmental policies. They also share performance reports and promotion updates on the results of environmental business plans. This meeting also serves as a forum for deliberations related to environmental conservation initiatives.
All our employees are regarded as important contributors to our environmental initiatives. We therefore provide various types of training in environmental management. In recent years, we have focused on upgrading the skills of our internal auditors and evaluators of our compliance obligations, and we are now focused on training employees who have that responsibility.
Environmental Management Logo
This logo was created in June 1993 and it is used when making internal postings about our Environmental Management System activities and Environmental Charter. The design was selected from among internal suggestions. The green leaves represent environmental technology, nature, and the hands of our employees, while the blue circle depicts the sky and the Earth, environmental equipment made by our employees, and the community and society surrounding us.
ISO 14001 Certification Status
Adapting to New ISO 14001:2015 Standards
The international environmental standard ISO 14001 was revised in 2015 in order to ensure the efficacy of ISO application.
We renewed our certification of registration in August 2017, and in 2020 we retained our certification through the first renewal audit under the new standard. In order to improve our environmental performance further, we are committed to implementing the PDCA (Plan, Do, Check, Act) cycle.
ISO 14001 Certification Status of Our Group
- Company name
Nippon Electric Glass Co., Ltd. (multi-certification at four plants)
- Date of certification: Aug. 27, 1999
- Nippon Electric Glass Co., Ltd. (multi-certification at four plants)
- Group companies
SGS Engineering Co., Ltd.
- Date of certification: Jan. 19, 2001
Nichiden Glass Processing Company, Limited
- Date of certification: Nov. 1, 2002
Shiga Nichiman Company, Limited
- Date of certification: Feb. 15, 2013
- Date of certification: Jan. 31, 2000
Nippon Electric Glass (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
- Date of certification: Jan. 12, 2002
Nippon Electric Glass Taiwan Co., Ltd.
- Date of certification: Sep. 18, 2006
Paju Electric Glass Co., Ltd.
- Date of certification: Aug. 28, 2007
Nippon Electric Glass (Korea) Co., Ltd.
- Date of certification: Oct. 9, 2007
Electric Glass (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.
- Date of certification: Dec. 21, 2009
Electric Glass (Korea) Co., Ltd.
- Date of certification: Dec. 9, 2014
Electric Glass (Guangzhou) Co., Ltd.
- Date of certification: Nov. 11, 2015
Electric Glass (Xiamen) Co., Ltd.
- Date of certification: Apr. 17, 2017
Electric Glass Fiber NL, B.V.
- Date of certification: May 22, 2017
Electric Glass (Nanjing) Co., Ltd.
- Date of certification: Apr. 13, 2018
- SGS Engineering Co., Ltd.